- Those of us on the team here at HighRoad Hostel DC hand-picked some our favorite upcoming events. Here they are:
- Celebrate the Holidays with Resource Furniture & Georgetown GLOW - Stop in at Resource Furniture and warm up with a cocktail and some light fare as we celebrate the holidays during Georgetown GLOW! (FREE!) 5PM-8PM. Tickets and more information are available here: https://www.eventbrite.com/e/celebrate-the-holidays-with-resource-furniture-georgetown-glow-tickets-29626230854
- Shop & Share Party Benefiting Tudor Place! - You're invited to sip, snack & finish your holiday shopping, with 10% of all sales from the event going directly to Tudor Place. Lily Pulitzer Georgetown. 6PM-8PM. 1079 Wisconsin Avenue NW.
- Free Jazz Concert at United States Botanic Garden, 6-8 PM -- Tony Craddock, Jr. & Cold Front: A childhood fascination with The Weather Channel's smooth jazz and a meteorology degree from Cornell University converged into a career of connecting weather and life through music. Tony's music is aired on Pandora Radio, he has performed with award-winning artists, and leads his inspirational jazz group, Tony Craddock, Jr. & Cold Front. More info here: https://www.usbg.gov/events/2016/11/12/concert-seasons-greenings-2
- National Symphony Orchestra: Handel’s Messiah -- John F. Kennedy Center for the Performing Arts, 8.00 PM -- $15-89: Get in the holiday spirit with Handel's epic masterpiece, performed each year with a fresh perspective by the NSO. This year, Laurence Cummings conducts four gifted singers and the University of Maryland Concert Choir in this NSO tradition. More info here: http://www.culturecapital.com/event/48256/national-symphony-orchestra-handels-messiah
- Procrastinator’s Holiday Market - Get all your holiday shopping done in one place! Meet Santa, watch the District Dance Holiday Performance, enjoy the winter drink bar, and make your own holiday cards with the Plaza Artist Supply Card-Making Station. 5PM-9PM. 680 Rhode Island Avenue NE.
- Seasons Greetings with Sweet Earl Greene @ Songbyrd - DC's smoothest Sweet Earl Greene back on the Songbyrd Stage, this holiday season! Tickets are $5. 8PM. 2477 18th Street NW. Tickets are available here: http://www.songbyrddc.com/shows/2016-12-16-sweet-earl-greene
- Kwanzaa Celebration, 7 PM: Join us this holiday season for Dance Place’s annual Kwanzaa Celebration, under the direction of Sylvia Soumah. Gather family and friends to join Coyaba Academy, Coyaba Dance Theater and special guests to celebrate the seven principles of Kwanzaa. $15-$30. More info here: http://www.culturecapital.com/event/47514/kwanzaa-celebration
- Stop’n’Shaw Pop-up Bazaar - Whether you’re looking for a last minute holiday gift or want to treat yourself in between all the gift giving, this will be the place for a special shopping experience. You’ll be able to browse some of the most unique vendors around and support some great local businesses, while being able to check everything off of your holiday gift list - without dealing with the overcrowded mall for the rest of the season. In addition to shopping, you’ll be able to connect with some incredible makers, artists, and creatives from the DC area and beyond. So get your holiday spirit ready and don’t miss out on Poppir’s Shop ‘n Shaw: Pop-Up Bazaar! (FREE!) 10AM-6PM. 641 S Street NW.
- Deck The Yards - Pucker up and bring your loved ones because this holiday season The Yards DC is transforming into the most kissable location with an eight part holiday mistletoe installation! (FREE!) 12PM-7PM. 301 Water Street SE.
- Snow Day Bar Crawl - Get ready for the 6th Annual Snow Day Bar Crawl! Participants (must be 21+) will quench their thirst on exclusive drink deals as they explore DC, one bar at a time. You’ll get a signature bar crawl cup, drink specials at numerous Dupont bars, holiday music at participating establishments, and an amazing crowd of snow bunnies celebrating the best time of the year! 2PM-10PM. $20. @ The Front Page, 1333 New Hampshire Avenue NW. Tickets and more information available here: https://www.xorbia.com/e/ne/SD-DC
- Doctor Who Happy Hour - One episode of Doctor Who and drink specials every Saturday at the Black Cat! @7PM. 1811 14th Street NW.
- Kwanzaa Celebration, 4 PM: Join us this holiday season for Dance Place’s annual Kwanzaa Celebration, under the direction of Sylvia Soumah. Gather family and friends to join Coyaba Academy, Coyaba Dance Theater and special guests to celebrate the seven principles of Kwanzaa. $15-$30. More info here: http://www.culturecapital.com/event/47514/kwanzaa-celebration
- The Christmas Revels: A Nordic Winter Celebration -- 1 PM & 5 PM at the George Washington University’s Lisner Auditorium -- $12-$60: A journey into the wonders of Nordic winter traditions! Get into the holiday spirit with breathtaking dance, mysterious folk legends, haunting melodies, and joyful carols. Discover mythic drama from Finland, spirited Icelandic dance, a magical Swedish “bringing of the light” procession, the spectacular leaps of Norwegian dance, a beloved Norwegian fairy tale, Danish toasts and carols, and much more. Revel with a cast of over 100, ages 8–85, in this festive holiday event. Glædelig Jul - Hyvaa joulua - Gledileg Jol - God Jul! More info here: http://www.culturecapital.com/event/49549/the-christmas-revels-a-nordic-winter-celebration
- Truffle Making Class - This 2 hour hands-on class will give you the skills to work with chocolate in the kitchen as well as make classic hand-rolled chocolate truffles. Working in groups of 2 or 3 you will choose your desired flavorings from seasonal fresh herbs and fine extracts and transform fine chocolate and fresh cream into hand rolled truffles. Class instruction covers basic chocolate knowledge, infusing flavors into cream and chocolate, basic ganache making, and chocolate tempering. At the Chocolate House in Adams Morgan. 1PM-3PM. $75. 1904 18th Street NW. Tickets and more information available here: http://www.thechocolatehousedc.com/classes--events.html
- Sparkling Holiday Tea, Tudor Place Historic House and Garden (Georgetown), 12 PM: Enjoy a traditional Victorian tea and tour the mansion, decked for the holidays in red, green and gold: Tudor Place sparkles for Christmas, a blend of contemporary style and classic traditions. Begin in the 1873 Dower House with tea sandwiches, scones, delicious desserts and historic tea blends. Then “stroll into the past” on a guided docent tour through the festively decorated 1816 National Historic Landmark mansion. This program is best enjoyed by adults and history buffs 16+. $35-$40. More info here: http://www.culturecapital.com/event/49648/sparkling-holiday-tea.
- Red Room Happy Hour at the Black Cat - $4 drink specials, plus food, pinball and general good times! 5:30-7PM. 1811 14th Street NW.
- A Choral Arts Christmas, John F. Kennedy Center for the Performing Arts, 7 PM: Capture the joy of the season with a beloved Washington tradition! A Choral Arts Christmas celebrates the holidays with a magical mix of seasonal classics, favorite sing-alongs, and popular Christmas standards. $15-$69. More info here: http://www.culturecapital.com/event/49240/a-choral-arts-christmas
- Yoga Monday - Bicycle Space in Adams Morgan hosts a weekly free yoga session. 7:30PM. (FREE!) 2424 18th Street NW.
- Free Acapella Concert at the United States Botanic Garden, 6.30-8 PM -- The Capital Hearings: With repertoire ranging from Renaissance motets to modern hits, The Capital Hearings are praised by audiences and critics alike for their lush harmonies and musical versatility. They'll be making spirits bright with festive performances of beloved carols, smooth vocal jazz, and sparkling contemporary arrangements. Celebrate the holiday season with song! More info here: https://www.usbg.gov/events/2016/11/12/concert-seasons-greenings-3
- Hanukkah Happy Hour on the Hill - Join EntryPointDC and hundreds of Jewish young professionals for the biggest Hanukkah party of the year! Bring your friends to THE party of the Hanukkah season for drink specials, specialty Hanukkah drinks, gelt, and more fun than you'll know what to do with. This year we're at two bars: 20's crowd head to Capitol Lounge, 30's crowd head to Hawk N' Dove. $5. 6PM-9PM. 229 Pennsylvania Avenue SE. Tickets and more information available here: http://thejdc.convio.net/site/Calendar?id=152939&view=Detail
- The Second Shepherds’ Play, Folger Theater, 7.30 PM: This magical retelling of the Nativity story combines beautiful music and a moving story for the holiday season. Folger Consort, the award-winning early music ensemble in residence at the Folger Shakespeare Library, performs festive medieval English tunes against the backdrop of this engaging mystery play adapted by Mary Hall Surface (LIFT: Icarus and Me and Goodnight Moon). Set in the English countryside, The Second Shepherds’ Play beautifully weaves together the stories of the shepherds, a sheep thief and his cunning wife, and the miracle in a humble manger in Bethlehem. $40-$60. More info here: http://www.culturecapital.com/event/48527/the-second-shepherds-play
- Concert! You Won’t and the Suitcase Junket at the Black Cat - Check out some local DC bands! Tickets $12. 1811 14th Street NW.